Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Friday 5 March 2010

Work rears its ugly head.

A day off the bike today as I have a H&S visit at a site in Nottingham. Truth be told I'm quite glad, my quads (thighs) are very sore and my neck is pretty painful. The few days rest will sort the quads out and my neck will just have to sort itself out as the road bike is now my chosen weapon of choice for the commute. Oh and I did a bit a of Googling and discovered that the Spawn of Satan's bum cream is pretty much the same as Rafe's udder cream. My er, ahem gentleman's area has now been treated. Apologies if that's too much information.

The pedal home last night was outstanding. I came a different way home, this time when I came through Edgbaston and Harbourne I took the turn over towards Shenley Fields and came through the lanes by Frankly Reservoir and pedalled over Frankly Beeches. I did have my Helmet Cam on and was going to post the footage as the sun was shining and all was right with the world. Even the climb over Frankley Beeches was great, painful but great, but something malfunctioned and that clip won't copy over so I've deleted it.

Coaching was good last night and the lads all got stuck in, they learned a bit and we only broke a couple of them during the contact session so that was good news.

I had a chat about dialling in some recovery time to my old Army mate Ski who I coach with. He's an ex Army PTI (PHYSICAL TRAINING INSTRUCTOR) I told him that every couple of months I seem to have a bad time, my body lets me down and morale plummets. He had nose at my log and said it's classic overtraining.

I had on the back of that scheduled in some recovery time for every 2 months for when I predict I'll suffer. Ski said the best thing would be to have a week off a week or 2 before I break down as that is when your body can recover most efficiently and make the most gains. If you have a break when you are suffering then your body is fighting the problem rather than making training gains during the rest period.

Makes sense to me. I'll have a word with our conditioning coach at the club too, he may have more ideas as well.

13 comments:

  1. Sudocream is awesome mate - works for almost everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Almost everything? Is that where KY comes in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope - works for that too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, ok. Sounds like the voice of experience to me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sudocreme (sp?) is always at hand... KY isn't... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What'll happen if Dan realises you've swiped some of his bum cream?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chaos will ensue no doubt mate...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Gents thought I was on the wrong Blog thought I stumbled into a gay chat room lol

    When I get my Brooks saddle I know who to ask for advice on wot cream to use on me arse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stumbled eh? Accidentally eh? OK...

    It seems Rafe, Joby and Matt are the cream and lube experts Les... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim enters room, reads posts about creaming, looks around slowly and exit the room with his back to the wall ensuring nobody is watching or following. Makes mental note never to visit this room again...............

    I would say have a nice weekend but I am sure that would be th wrong thing to say, so just play safely.........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sudocream, KY, all far too posh. Just use good, old fashioned lard.

    On a slighty more serious note, intresting stuff about the resting period. Be intresting to see how that helps your performance

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lube Cream Lard Ky creaming resting performance

    me thinks this a male only over 21 consenting adults site

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shame about the footage of the Frankly climb drive that way to one of our other offices and on a clear day bet its well nice apart from the suffering.

    You mentioned the other day about numb palms I really rate the Fizik bar tape kite with padding sorted me out a treat

    ReplyDelete