Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Monday 15 March 2010

Anticipation...

I'm in the works van today as there is a requirement to move some of the vans about. We're a bit short of bodies at the moment with sick leave and holidays so I'm it! Still, if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined!

That leaves me looking forward to tomorrow's pedal. I'll do the 20 miler (East side) and do the Frankley Beeches route on the way home. Apparently the weather is nice tomorrow and Wednesday getting a bit dodgy on Thursday.

Remember my poor battered Ridgeback Commuter? It has been the subject of on an ongoing saga since its bottom bracket let go a few weeks ago. This is a very old bike. It has in its life done some serious wilderness mountain biking in Snowdonia. It has carried me to Longbridge from Small Heath regularly on an old commuting route, then Rubery to Solihull on another commuting route. Now as you know it has been taking me regularly via the towpath to Smethwick from Rubery through one of the worst winters in living memory. Faithful workhorse doesn't even come close to describing how I feel about the old girl.

It went in to Northfield Cycles for a replacement bottom bracket. No probs, then while it was in Neil phoned me and said its rear hub was gone, this didn't surprise me. Old bike after all. Then he said the cassette had worn badly, again...Then he said the rim was shot. So the bottom line was a new bottom bracket, new cassette, new rear wheel and new chain. Gulp. I kind of knew this was coming. Then just to complete the set, I realised I needed a new headset which I fitted. Apart from the front wheel everything major has now been renewed. Just in time for the little bit of NCR5 through Brum I'm doing with JB!


The frame is very rusty and battered now, bless her, so a complete strip down and respray might be a summer project.

9 comments:

  1. Nice to get the commuter fixed up, should get a few more years good service out of her. Listening to all the replacement parts didn't half remind me of Trigger from only Fools, "I've had this same broom for 15 years, its had 10 new heads and 15 new heads"

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's done me proud Matt. She has a very good quality steel frame that will outlive me if I treat her right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So in the Summer if ure plans work out ure old girl will b like a new girl

    Got me Brooks saddle, fitted it yesterday went around the block on only a small block mind, I think u put me onto a good thing Clive I am gonna posts some pics on me blog later wiv the aforementioined (proofed) saddle fitted

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your arse will thank you for ever mate. Maybe not during the first 100 or so miles though... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting rather worried about this ncr5 now!

    Its going to be tough!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It'll be fine mate. The only thing bothering me is trying to keep up with JB for 10 miles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Posted the pics on me blog m8

    wen the saddle is new how often wud u recommend proofing it I av dun it twice since I got it and let it soak in overnight then polished the residue of the nxt day

    Thanks Clive for all ure help m8

    ReplyDelete
  8. I normally do it once a week when I'm cleaning the bike mate.

    ReplyDelete