Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Tuesday 30 March 2010

An achievement of sorts...

Although I never really gave it any thought, it wasn't until I logged on this morning I realised I've actually cracked the 2000 mile pedalled mark since I started this thing. It would have been roughly going up the hill into Northfield yesterday evening I'm guessing. Anyway, the pedal home was without incident, my wheels for whatever reason now seem to be behaving themselves with no rubbing from them (how does that work then?) And unsurprisingly I had a functioning computer. I suppose having the front wheel in the forks the right way round would help that.

The pedal in this morning was the quick way down the Bristol Road with a quick detour at the Bristol Road MacDonalds up via Fiveways and down Icknield Port Road. That was a spur of the moment thing as while I was waiting at the lights I saw a guy on a MTB whizz across the lights towards Fiveways going at a fair lick. So I thought it would be a challenge to see if I could catch him up the hill when the lights went green for me.

Green light off I went, he was about 300 metres ahead but I could see I was gaining quickly, he was through the lights at the 5 Ways Railway Station and I was still gaining, 200 metres now so I put my head down, out of the saddle and went for it. I got through the lights by the railway station and sat up to see how close he was and the bugger had gone! I'm guessing he went left at the side road past the station. But my heart rate was well up and I got a bit of a work out so no harm done. Fair play to him though, he was shifting for a MTB.

This is my last day at work until next Tuesday. Pedalling is still to the fore though. Tomorrow I shall have company on an off road pedal over the Lickey's, I am being deliberately mysterious there! And on Saturday I'm joining JB on a very small part of his NCR5 pedal through Birmingham. It appears I have the NCR5 navigation duties through Brum. Gulp, no pressure then!

To finish on a positive, it seems the fair Emma's healing hands have done the trick, absolutely no twinges, aches or wierd pains (other than normal cycling ones) from my achillies or calves.

9 comments:

  1. Ohhh don't forget its a navigation race through Birmingham :-)

    Its also going to be very wet and a strong head wind :-(

    Perhaps I didn't plan the time of year very well, but I got a bit carried away with the idea of clocks changing and spring...forgetting all about April showers...

    Ohhh well it makes the challenge a wee bit more challenging :-)......See you on Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might not be able to follow the complicated NCR5 route very well, but I can get you where you need to go mate. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't found the offial NCR5 route through Stoke. However, I do know where loads of little segments are and I should have no trouble linking them all up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a bloody maze through Brum. But my local knowledge and JB's satnav thingy means we should be ok.

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done on the mileage clive...wheels rubbing?...do you remove them often?,if so can be them not seated properly before tightening the QR levers...easy to do on a bikestand..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Clive on ure 2000 mile barrier

    Well done on ure recovery

    Well done Emma's healing hands

    Well done for turning ure front wheel round at least ure going in the right direction now mate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going in the right direction Les? Thursday evening's weigh in will tell me that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coz u got ure wheel on the rite way round

    Wotever appens on Thursday evening ure life and lifestyle is going in the rite direction Clive

    Ure inspiration mate

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good going there Clive. 2,000 miles is very impressive.

    ReplyDelete