Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Wednesday 3 March 2010

Quite remarkable, the sequel...

The pedal home last night was even more remarkable considering the majority of it is uphill and I have to fight the good fight through Birmingham City Centre and Selly Oak. 13 minutes quicker than average! I got home in 45 minutes feeling exhilarated! The hills were blasted up and Cock Hill is owned! Apologies for the yoof speak there...

But if you consider back in October last year when I first started pedalling the whole way to and from work I was doing the journey home in 1 hour 15 minutes you'll see why I'm pretty pleased.

I'll post some footage later when I've checked it out to see if any is worth posting.

This morning I decided to ride a longer route in.


As you can see it's a tad longer with what felt like a lot of climbing, Mucklow Hill was especially a bastard. My neck is aching a bit, but if after 44 miles in 2 days on my new road bike that's all that's aching then I'll take that. My legs are feeling it a bit too, but that's to be expected. Maybe in hindsight I should have used my other planned 20 mile route in taking in the east side of Brum. It's a lot less hilly! The ride in was an hour and 15 minutes by the way.

So, I have decided, I am now very happy with my secondary form of bicycle. Road riding is fun, quick and the way forward for commuting and weight loss. But it'll never replace MTBing in my heart. Sorry all you roadies out there!

Footage as promised of my journey home via Birmingham City Centre. It's just of the bit from Heath Street in Smethwick until the Bristol Road towards Selly Oak. It gives a bit of an indication of traffic at about 1530hrs.




I've also chucked in this footage of Priory Road, through Selly Oak to the Outer Circle traffic lights. The 2 videos posted are the bits that my Canal ride miss out.

12 comments:

  1. Well done mate sounds like your buzzing

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you slipped a bit of yoof in there;
    "Yo, yo, yo, wicked rides, nuff reeesepct"

    OR

    Nice one matey, glad you happy with the second bike, the roadie is going to make your commute more fun, build them muscles and I should think in turn make the MTB easier and more fun too...Don't ever stop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh you will gradually get dragged over to the dark side :-)

    It starts of with time....then you realise that you can do the 20 in an hour....then you look to do the 20 sub hour....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les - feeling ok at the minute ta.

    Matt - I have no idea what you said in the first bit, but thanks for the second bit. ;-)

    JB - LOL! You never give up, small steps mate, small steps. Oh BTW, email sent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you've already joined the dark side ;)

    and its Pwned not Owned ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ain't got a clue what you're on about Jobywoby. Pwned? Is this some strange Northern thing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 20 miles to work, we're not worthy! I need to start getting my lazy butt out of bed and clocking up the miles.

    I'm not sure I would dare ride along those roads with the traffic being that heavy! I was expecting a 'joby' incident any moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Red, Midlanders are a better class of people. ;-)

    Not sure about the 20 miles in tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think u mite consider changing the name of your Blog to
    "The not so massive Roadie Biker"
    That Bus in front of u on the second video sounded like it is on its way to the Bus Graveyard in the sky

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that was me trying to breathe, not the bus Les...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol well your breathing sounds just like a diesel engine m8

    ReplyDelete
  12. i feel lazy riding a daily 6 mile round trip now!
    moving forward in reaching a goal is always a good buzz!

    ReplyDelete