Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Monday 1 March 2010

Pristine bike and kit...

Until I got to the cut that is. My Ridgeback was gleaming, my kit was spotless, then canal; towpath that was muddy, icy, and generally very wet. I was quite surprised, ok, we'd had a bit of snow yesterday but on the whole it has been a dry weekend. Ish. After the travails of the rear wheel on Saturday I now have an alarming creaking and cracking noise coming from my front wheel. I suspect the hub. I hope not. Those wheels have seen sterling service having been handbuilt for me 20 odd years ago at the now defunct "On yer bike" in Solihull. Maybe their time is approching.

I hope the computer for the road bike appears soon as I want to fit it and try Giant on the commute through the City Centre, I am very interested to see what effect it has on time. Also after making one or two slight adjustments on Saturday I'm keen to see if I will be comfortable on it. I'm not really counting the 5 miles I did on it last Wednesday when I picked it up. The Brooks saddle wasn't on it, also the bars were a tad low and the seat post a tad high. Not hugely so but enough to need a tweak. We all know what a difference a couple of mm make to your comfort while riding.

It's now March, that's Spring in my book, so why have we had frost this morning and heavy snow is forecast for Friday? I am fast approching not seeing the humour in the situation!

7 comments:

  1. Heavy overnight frost here too, but looking lovely out there now, shame Im looking after youngest and have school run to do :(

    If your anything like me, you will be tweeking for a good few rides to get it perfect, it always surprises me how just a tiny nudge or minute adjustment can make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 years !!!!
    I would be over the moon if I got a set of rim braked wheels to last the year.

    When I first got my Brooks it was very hard and slippery, I didn't like it at all. However, i'm glad I stuck with it. It soon softened up and is now by far the most comfortable saddle i've ever owned. It's just a shame it weighes a ton!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It'll have a great effect on time mate - you'll be hooked in no time - taking you away from the dark side...

    You'll have to change your blog name to notsomassive roadbkr

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jobywobypudding and Pie, I can see where you're going with this, but I'll always be a MTBer who does a bit of tarmac. Even if the opposite is actually the case! ;-)

    Red, these wheels have done Snowdonia, Forest of Dean, Cannock Chase and all manner of commuting type duties over the years. It just shows what good value a good set of handbuilt wheels represents. They were expensive 20 odd years ago as I recall. I seem to remember Wifey (then fiancee) saying "How much?" In that way that only women can.

    Matt, set up is a bastard, it can take ages or with a bit of experience a bit quicker. I just hope I can remember roady set up...Gulp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. from your pictures of the roadie, your set up looked ok - Wheels on the ground, saddle at the top...seems about right to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought you said you weren't too great at bike set up? You seem to have it nailed from where I'm sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. At this rate Summer will be over before Spring arrives

    ReplyDelete