Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Monday 8 February 2010

Wet and windy.

That was a great re-introduction to commuting, a stiff head wind and raining. At least it wasn't snowing. But, I got here to work via the City Centre route with no Jobys to report. Albeit with an annoying creak in my stem/handlebar area.

Maybe you have (or haven't) noticed the addition to my Blog title, the "Don't ever stop" phrase in the brackets. This is a reminder to me that this battle is for the long haul, probably a lifetime one and I'd better get used to the fact. Last week I was feeling pretty cack, but could I have pedalled? Yes I probably could have. The bimble round the hills with Rafe was proof of that. The real issue I'm sure was a psychological one not a physical one. I still feel pretty lousy truth be told and my back is still giving me gip, but I pedalled in and it proves that my inner wimp Demon won the battle last week.

I've been looking back over my logs and I've noticed a pattern, usually after about 2 months there is an issue of some description that stops me pedalling, maybe I need to dial in a week off every 2 months to provide a natural R&R period? If I deliberately don't pedal instead of coming up with reasons not to then maybe my morale might not be so damaged? Interesting one that. April the 5th is my next break then, maybe.

4 comments:

  1. Intresting thought on the time off, maybe you could make it a week off commuting on the bike and maybe have some lesiure rides for that week - keeping your hand in, but doing it for "fun" instead of the same trek to work?

    If you want some motivation in the spring / summer I will pop up and we could do some road miles together :)

    Keep it going matey, its a hell of a long haul, got a feeling I'm going to be at it for donkey's years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or, if like me it'll be years looking like a donkey! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need plenty of rest days. I've got no choice but to ride at least 5 day a week at the moment, and its killing me.

    Perhaps you could schedule a drive into work at least once a week. A way of taking clothes in/out instead of having to carry them on the bike and a way of giving your legs a bit of a rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an option I've thought of Red. Definately give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete