Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Monday 22 February 2010

My feet are freezing!

Standard pedal in, I overtook a new cyclist (well new to me) by the Bristol Road MacDonalds, a young bloke on a MTB lit up like the Walsall Illuminations. He had LEDs stuck everywhere, a tad of an overkill if you ask me, but it obviously makes him feel safer. When I was catching him up I first thought he had a helmet cam on as I could see something Duck Taped to the top of his lid, but no, it was another light! I said good morning to him as I went by and he answered with the obligatory "All right mate" I never saw him again so I guess he must have turned off pretty soon afterwards.

I had a fear of more snow this morning but we never had any more overnight. There was the odd snow flurry from my house up until Northfield but afterwards I never saw any more, not even on the ground. It must be our micro climate again. But by all that's holy it was f*****g cold! I couldn't find my new Lizard Skin waterproof socks so I put my old ones on, bad move I should have ripped the house apart for my new ones, my feet are like blocks of bloody ice, they're actually painful. Not good.

Loads of comments yesterday about tyre size for my new bike, it seems it's a subject that has strong opinions from people. I like that. A good argument (friendly of course) always seems to get to the crux of the matter and throws up some good ideas. It's amazing what 2mm of rubber can do! Anyway, as a long time absentee from road bikes I'm always happy to be guided by those that know as a starting point. Then no doubt I'll have my own ideas as to what works and what doesn't. Keep the suggestions coming folks!

8 comments:

  1. Tyre size - I believe Gary had very few problems on his 23mm road tyres on his Ribble and he's heavier than you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, good one, hadn't thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've still got loads of snow here. I'm sat at work aching from going arse over tit twice this morning while riding into work.

    As for the tyres the make / model is probably just as important than the width. Don't skimp on the tyres!
    Bontrager hardcase and Conti Ultra gators are two makes that have good puncture protection, roll well, and don't cost a fortune.
    (Ultra gators are slippy in the wet but wear well - Hardcase wear quickly but very grippy)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nearly forgot. Get a set of overshoes or sealskin waterproof socks. These will keep your feet nice and toasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have, couldn't find the bloody things this morning...grrr...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 23/25mm debate has nothing to do with weight, hope I never implied it does! It's all to do with comfort. There's a reason these comfort bikes (Clive's Defy & my Synapse) come with 25s from the factory.

    I see no-one has come up with a technical reason why you should run 23s over 25s!

    I'll shut up now as I've put forward my case and I'm dying of suspected man flu. Just over 7 hours in the car today (only went to East London, 180 miles round trip at most).

    ReplyDelete
  7. uk = fk over fn is the reason for 23's over 25s.

    Also, you could take into account that us = fsmax over FN, but you might be pushing it a little bit.


    Yup - I haven't got a clue.

    ReplyDelete