Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Wednesday 9 December 2009

The good, the bad and the ugly.

The pedal home last night along the cut went pretty well, it was drier which meant a few more folk to contend with. Now as a rule, I'm that laid back I'm almost horizontal and I hardly ever get annoyed or wound up. But, I'm starting to build up an irrational hatred of walkers on the canal wearing IPODs that are so loud that they cannot hear my polite "excuse me please" when I'm trying to overtake them. It's especially bad as the canal winds its way through the University. I'm thinking of fitting an air horn on my bike, that will make them jump into the cut in shock I would hope. Students and IPODs grrrr...

Onto the good now, I got overtaken by anorexic roadie on the hill up into Selly Oak this morning, I haven't seen him for a few weeks and this morning he was on a MTB. Now the good bit is that I actually accelerated and managed to hang on to him for about 20 yards, he never realised I was there I don't think, but actually trying to keep up is a fantastic indicator of how much I've improved. Please bear in mind that even when I was at my fittest I was always built for comfort not speed.

Onto the bad, at the Bristol Road MacDonalds traffic lights (a pretty big junction for all non Brummies out there) I stopped at the red light and edged forward over the line as I normally do when there is no specific cycle area so I am visible for all and sundry. A van edged closer to me that had stopped behind me, so I rolled forward a few feet to stay out of his way and the git then edged forward again, so I rolled a bit more forward and he did it again this time revving his engine. I turned to look at him and he just grinned. At that point the lights went green and he passed within inches of me, I was too busy concentrating on staying upright to belt the side of his van. It was a Ford Transit 350 BX07 VDM (If I recall correctly) from Edwards Construction Co.

The ugly? I looked in the mirror this morning.

I'll be back along the cut tonight battling with IPODs.

3 comments:

  1. You need one of these...

    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20105

    I've not heard one in action, but apparently they are the pups nuts.

    I'm not a music person so don't really get the iPod thing, but even if I did I'd make sure it didn't distract me too much from my surroundings especially if I was walking next to some freezing cold water...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm now sitting here thinking what happens if you blast a 115dB behind an iPed (wot Joby calls them) close to a canal. Can't help but find myself smiling at the potential outcome :)

    ReplyDelete