Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Friday 13 August 2010

A slight change of plan...

Apologies if you're expecting Tweets from the Fosse Way or Bidford on Avon and a delayed Blog. But I have an excuse...


My rear tyre was flat when I got my bike out this morning. Upon inspection when I removed the tyre I found this. As you can see the weld that joins the valve to the tube has totally failed and is totally irrepairable. In all my years of cycling man and boy I've never seen that before.

I fitted the spare but obviously that leaves me without a change of tube for the rest of the ride. So I made a command decision and postponed the 100 miler until Sunday. I'll get a replacement tube (or 2) today.

I suppose going Sunday has its advantages. Less traffic around Coventry and to be fair it is threatening rain here and around the 100 miler route today. While I have no issues pedalling in the rain, I'm not completely stupid as it is nicer not to have to!

Apologies then for the false start. A bit disappointed truth be told.

Still going to the Dodford later though!


Just found this over at Placid Casual another Blog I follow. The bloke is a great photographer and a really serious cyclist, I love reading his thoughts. They're always out of the ordinary not like my cliche ridden ramblings.

But check this photo out:






If you remember my Blog about the Solihull lady that was sadly killed time trialling recently on the A46 in Warwickshire, the photo above is a good example of that type of road. In fact as Placid Casual is a Leicestershire lad it might be the A46!

While I fully support the running of events on the public road I really must question the wisdom of doing it in those conditions pictured above. Surely a bit of common sense must take over here? Relying on the good graces of car drivers just isn't an option, as I know only too well!

7 comments:

  1. That photo - nuts! Hes just too far out into the road for traffic his side to pass without either coming close or pulling out into the other lane.

    Shame about your plans going temporarily tits up. I've seen that tube failure once before many many years ago but I think it was caused by the valve going through the rim at an angle which eventually pulled it out. Best of luck for Sunday mate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck for Sunday but was good to find out before you set off could have happened five minutes into the 100 miler.

    Got to say that looks very dangerous, I agree one hundred percent that to rely on the good grace of car drivers is very misplaced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck on doing the century clive!,
    i too have had tubes do that, have found continental tubes to be real tough,now buy them in various sizes for all bikes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tire can't be patched. :-)
    good luck on Sunday, I'll be thinking about you.
    I'm thinking of a dirt 100 miler Sunday myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. do you use Mr.Tuffy tire liners? I know they wouldn't of helped prevent your tube's failure, but they have saved me from hundreds of flats*(based on the number of flats I've had when not using them) I even use heavy duty/thorn proof tubes and that combo has made flats a thing of the past.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bugger that. Seen it before and, as you say, nothing that can be done about it.

    Experience has taught me to always keep some spare tubes & a spare tyre for each of the bikes in the workshop. That's in addition to the spare tube that's always "on the bike". Sounds like you've learnt the same lesson :)

    Best of luck for Sunday!

    ReplyDelete