Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Tuesday 17 August 2010

A change is as good as a rest...

This morning was the first commute in when It was dark when I started out and I needed my lights on. Bummer, that means Autumn is nearly here.

I also decided to commute in on NCR 5 and the canal for a change. I've been road biking a lot recently and my Ridgeback has been pining to be given some playtime. Plus I get so sick of bloody roads, give me a trail or a towpath anyday!

I've said it before, but changing your commute and or changing the bike you pedal is massively important to keep things fresh. I know I'm lucky to have a choice of bikes and other people haven't got that luxury. But boredom is one of the enemies for a constant commuter and if you're doing it for weight loss you need to keep doing it!

The pedal in was great though, enjoyed being on the canal and the solitude, as usual I never saw a soul which was great.

My body is feeling fine still after the 100 miler which in all fairness is a bit of a surprise to me. I was expecting to suffer for the century. But I guess my post ride stretches and recovery ride yesterday have all helped my cause. Looking forward to the 113 miler to the coast in Wales in 2 weeks now!

Stats for this morning's commute:

Started: 17 Aug 2010 05:14:59
Ride Time: 1:05:18
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 16.26 miles
Average: 14.98 miles/h
Fastest Speed: 41.95 miles/h
Climb: 33 feet
Calories: 641

6 comments:

  1. The towpaths in your part of the world must be great, I'm lucky if I can manage 10 mph., because of all the potholes, terrain etc., our towpaths here are a disgrace. I agree with you about keeping things fresh, and I'd love to ride the towpath route for a change, but it's so slow, and quite frankly dangerous, especially in the dark as autumn is now here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Towpaths are generally fine around our neck of the woods in the south, however some are tarmac (which look ugly but ride well) and I'd hate to think how slippery they will get when the leaves fall & it rains.

    Nice commute mate. I'm seriously thinking about trying the 25 miler into work one morning. Just need to work out how long it will take.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet when you started this cycling malarkey you never envisaged doing 100 milers or more.

    Its such an achievement mate all of it not just the cycling the weight loss is brilliant, your fitness levels as well.

    Keep it up Clive your inspiration to us all matey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how early you start you commute in the morning! That's mental.

    I like a change every now and then so take different route but my regular route is good as I see lots of cyclists every day, many of which are the same smiling people that say hi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's my job Toby, I have to open up for my mobile engineers who operate Nationwide. The advantage is I leave at 1500hrs!

    No rush hour traffic for me! :-)

    Truth be told I prefer doing this to normal hours anyway so I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so great to see you back out there after your 100 miler and feeling good. I wish I could crank the sun up so that it is still shining for you on the commute.

    Keep on Enjoying Your Ride. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete