Progress so far...

June 30th 2009 - 22 stone 4Ibs. Current weight - 17 stone 1Ib. Weight loss - 5 stone 3Ibs. Commuting miles - 3389.
Non commuting miles - 359. Mileage this week - 101 miles. Total mileage - 3748 miles.


Monday 12 July 2010

Get on yer bike!

Well I did get on my bike, on my Ridgeback with my new tyres and inner tubes to be precise and I pedalled in without incident via NCR5 and the canal. It is pretty grey this morning and trying its best to rain, but I avoided getting too wet.

I didn't go for any speed records and just eased myself back into it, the 16 miles went ok and meant I can put 8 "leisure " miles onto my God Dammned July challenge sheet if it works now that is!

The new tyres felt ok too, maybe a bit heavier and slightly less responsive, but I'll take that if it means no visitations from the Puncture Fairy.

Stats here:
Started: 12 Jul 2010 05:50:37
Ride Time: 1:12:35
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 16.33 miles
Average: 14.78 miles/hr
Fastest Speed: 35.10 miles/hr
Climb: 184 feet
Calories: 1010


My weekend went very well, the conference was really good and as usual I learned stuff and had some of my coaching ideas and philosophies reinforced by the sessions. I also as usual took away a few gems to incorporate into my coaching sessions at my club.

England's Rugby World Cup winning winger Ben Cohen ran a session, which was interesting, he's new to coaching and it showed. But he had a nice manner about him and I'm sure he'll be able to translate his success on the pitch to success on the coaching front. Don't think for one moment that being a hugely successful player will make you a successful coach. I've seen some massive names in rugby try their hand at coaching and fail miserably. No names no pack drill, but coaching is different to playing!


Ben Cohen and my club's Director of Rugby and England's 7 a side coach Russell Earnshaw.




Ben during his footwork and agility session.

One of the Coaches I know pretty well Dan Tanner, pictured below, is doing JOGLE in aid of the RFU's injured players foundation.



Full story here.

He got his bike through the cycle to work scheme and is in the process of training hard for it now with his mates. Me and my mate Ski have rashly agreed to meet up with the team and cycle with them through the Midlands stage of the ride. That's what happens when you're collared by well meaning folk when you've had too many pints of Guinness! Thanks Dan, you git!

4 comments:

  1. Glad no puncture fairies mate, looks like you had a great weekend mate.

    I know nothing bout rugby but the point you make about great players don't always make great coaches is the same in footbal (Soccer)coaches are a special breed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we could have done with some rugby magic in the world cup final last night - Howard Webb got no respect...

    The quicker the FA move towards the Rugby way of thinking, the better.

    And good luck on the JOGLE - at least you've not signed up for the lot... yet... I'm going to peck your head until you agree for 2012

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that Ben Cohen is a nice guy, I admired his style of rugby. Just as I did his uncle of 1966 World Cup Fottball fame, who was my real hero, what a fantastic player he was. I was playing full back for a local soccer team at the time. Pity England didn't have his ilk, these last few games eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who sets out to cycle from one end of the country to the other is 1. an outstanding bloke, and 2. gets my full respect. Keep us updated on his trip eh?

    ReplyDelete